On this page, we give our opinion on the 5 of the best roti makers we have tried, so you can eliminate your roti making time to Olympic record levels!
Makes Tortillas too
10 inch Roti Maker
1. StarBlue - 10inch Roti Maker
This device is designed to specifically make bread from Southeast Asia.
The StarBlue has non-sticking cooking plates and the neon red light indicator tells you the power status while the green indicator tells you when the appliance’s temperature has reached cooking status.
It really does make a crispy Indian flatbread and it’s highly recommended for making a nice Phulke or Chapati.
- The StarBlue is easy to clean with a wet cloth
- The cord can be stored wrapping it beneath it.
- It can make bread in around 5 minutes.
Lightweight yet durable, this is ideal for light users. It won’t do huge amounts of breads, but is suitable for the home kitchen.
2. Saachi SA1650 Electric Non-Stick
This popular flatbread appliance can also make Tortilla, wraps, Chappati, Puri and other types of South-East Asian flatbreads. In our opinion, this appliance is one of the more cost-effective ones in the market.
It comes with non-stick cooking plates and an upscale chrome finish. Lookswise, it’s quite good on the eye and it has a professional cool-touch handle.
- It has a thermostat to control the temperature of the cooking plates.
- It has an 8 inch griddle and an automatic On/Off/Ready light.
However, it has a few downfalls:
- Long cooking times
- The dough tends to stick
- Other quality issues
- It can not be used to make the fluffed up Phulka
3. Revel CTM610 Tortilla Flatbread Maker
Powered by 1000 Watts, this si really good quick baking. To be absolutely honest, this one is actually designed as a tortilla press and we only tested it once with varied results.
On the plus side, it comes with non-stick plates that are easy to clean and has a 10 inch griddle size which is perfect for Indian breads. There is actually a newer model called the Revel Large 10″ Tortilla Maker in Silver but it has been unavailable for a while.
- It can also be used to make Puri’s as well as Panipuris.
- It can easily be cleaned with a wet cloth.
Now, moving to the negatives, there are a few:
- It is not seen as a durable product.
- Doesn’t come with instructions.
- It doesn’t flatten the dough properly and the dough must be borderline runny(!)
- It does not have temperature control.
4. Best Revel CTM-660
This one has a chrome finish body which is easy to clean and the press handler is durable and ergonomically designed to fit one’s hand. Like the others, it has a non-stick surface that helps with keeping it clean.
- The cord storage is built into this kitchen appliance.
- It has an eight-inch cooking plates.
- An automatic on/off light as well as a ready light.
As for the negatives, there actually aren’t that many:
- Being that it is 110 Volt it will need a converter to work outside the U.S.
- The heat is not adjustable on this kitchen appliance.
5. Brentwood TS-129 Stainless Steel
Sometimes seen as Amazon’s Choice, this larger appliance has a one-year manufacturer’s warranty. The temperature is adjustable so you can make something soft or crispy. That is a really good benefit as quite a few of the other ones listed on this page do not have temperature control.
- Non-stick aluminum plates which are easy to clean.
- It has both power and preheat indicator lights that tell you when its ready to cook food.
- The electronically regulated 1200 watt plates makes sure that there is a consistent cooking time.
Again, some negatives too:
- This appliance is primarily meant to cook Tortillas and it has a 12-inch cooking area
- This appliance is not seen as durable and the presser is made of a low-quality plastic and is known to break.
How Everyone Made Indian Breads in the Past
And how it’s Made in Modern Times?
Our ability to make miniaturized heating elements has revolutionized the preparation of food in general and South East Asian breads specifically. These advances benefit the family by giving time to the women who traditionally prepared food.
Another benefit that applies to most of these appliances is that they are small. If you are a college student and want to make some flat bread, you can easily store one of these appliances in your dorm room unlike the fully robotic Rotimatic which takes up a large amount of counter space. Prior to these electric appliances the time-consuming process of using a tawa would limit what a working-class family could do with their free time. With an electric device and how quickly it can prepare traditional Southeast Asian breads, the family has time do things like help their children study or relax.
Good, Basic Features you Should be Looking for
Some of the basic features that you should look for in any of your flat bread machines includes a non-stick coating, automatic temperature control, an on/off light indicator, griddle size and other safety features. Non-stick coatings are essential because they prevent the wasting of your effort and time if you have to rip it off the griddle. Automatic temperature control features prevent the bread from being overcooked to the point it can start a fire. The recommended size is 8-10 inches and that it has a non-heat handle lift.
Prerequisites Before Using Them
If your inexperienced at making bread from Sotheast Asia, take a look at the video below. One of the first things you should do is use a towel to it to clean it off. Also make sure that you have a clean surface to put the appliance down on and know where your children are. Most of the devices are light and can be knocked over by a child. Before putting the dough on the device make sure that it has been out of the fridge for at least 10 minutes. For optimum results the appliance should be allowed to reach a temperature of 425 degrees Fahrenheit before using it.
How we Decided on Our Winner
While several of these Tortilla making appliances do a good job cooking Southeast Asian bread, it usually better to have one that was built from the beginning to serve that purpose. The StarBlue is the clear winner because it was designed to primarily make Southeast Asian bread’s including Chapatis and Phulke which are harder to make.
This appliance is durable, has non-stick coating, an automatic temperature control and other safety features. While others had some of these attributes as well, the StarBlue was just as good or had more of these complementary attributes when compared. It also can be used to make Tortilla’s and other types of flatbread like the others.